Canadian Tax and
Financial Information
Caregiver Amount Tax Credit

Ads keep this website free for you. does not research or endorse any product or service appearing in ads on this site.  Before making a major financial decision you  should consult a qualified professional.

Looking for US tax information?

Need an accounting, tax or financial advisor? Look in our Directory.      Stay Connected with!      Internet Explorer - Use compatibility view for calculators to work properly!

What's New
Personal Tax
Sales Taxes
Free in 30!
Financial Planning
Real Estate
Stocks Bonds etc.
British Columbia
Atlantic Provinces
Federal Budget
Provincial Budgets
Statistics etc.
Site Map
Advertise With Us
Contact Us/About Us
Links & Resources

Filing Your Return
Disabilities -> Caregiver Amount Tax Credit

Line 315 Caregiver Amount Tax Credit

If you or anyone else is able to claim the line 305 eligible dependant/equivalent to spouse credit for a person, then line 315 caregiver amount may not be claimed for that person.  However, if the line 315 amount would have been greater than the line 305 amount, the difference can be claimed as a line 305 additional amount.  If you are using tax software, this will be done automatically when you complete the information for the person, in the dependants area.

Tax credit may be available if parent or grandparent (over 65) lives with you, even if they are not your dependant.

Income Tax Act s. 118(1)(B)(c.1)

If, at any time in the tax year, you (either alone or with another person) maintained a dwelling and your or your spouse or common-law partner's parent or grandparent aged 65 or older lived with you, you may be able to claim the federal Caregiver Amount tax credit in the amount of $4,732 for 2017 ($4,667 for 2016).  Although they may not be financially dependent on you, in income tax software their information will be entered in the dependants area. The Family Caregiver Amount (FCA) of $2,150 for 2017 ($2,121 for 2016) is added to the Caregiver Amount for infirm dependants, and the income threshold is increased by this amount.

The Caregiver Amount is reduced when the net income of the parent or grandparent exceeds $16,163 for 2017 ($15,940 for 2016), and is eliminated at net income of $20,895 for 2017 ($20,607 for 2016).  Check the tables of non-refundable personal tax credits for the provincial tax credit amounts and income threshold levels.

The parent or grandparent must at the time have been a resident of Canada, and the tax credit is not available if they were just visiting you.

This tax credit is also available when certain other dependent relatives are living with you (see below), but for other relatives the tax credit is not available unless the relative is dependent on you due to mental or physical infirmity.

If you are able to claim the caregiver amount for a dependent relative, and the dependant is eligible for the disability tax credit, any unused portion of this credit may be transferable to you.  If you cannot claim the caregiver amount because the dependent's income is too high, you may still be able to transfer any unused portion of the disability tax credit.

Tax credit may be available if dependent relative lives with you.

If, at any time in the tax year, you (either alone or with another person) maintained a dwelling where you and a dependent relative lived, you may be able to claim the Caregiver Amount tax credit.  The dependent must have been 18 years of age or over, and dependent on you due to a mental or physical infirmity.  This tax credit is reduced if the dependent's income exceeds a certain level.  The dependent must be your child or grandchild, or your or your spouse or common-law partner's sibling, niece, nephew, aunt, or uncle (for parent or grandparent see above).  They must have been a resident of Canada, and the tax credit is not available if they were just visiting you.  Starting in 2012, the Family Caregiver Amount Tax Credit is added to the caregiver amount tax credit, for physically or mentally infirm dependents.

What if the relative doesn't live with the supporting person?

The caregiver amount has been denied when the supporting person and the dependent relative do not ordinarily reside in the same home.  See the 2010 Tax Court case Solanki v. The Queen.  A 2004 Tax Court case, Vaynshteyn v. The Queen, allowed the claim by the daughter, when the daughter resided with the parent during 3 separate periods of at least one month each during the year.

If a supporting person is assisting with attendant care expenses or with the costs of assisted living, see our article on attendant care expenses.

Claiming the caregiver amount

If someone else has claimed the line 305 eligible dependant tax credit for a person, you cannot claim the caregiver tax credit for that person.  If anyone, including you, can claim the caregiver tax credit for a dependant, then no person can claim the line 306 infirm dependant tax credit for that dependant.

The caregiver amount tax credit can be split if more than one person supports the same dependant, but the total claim made cannot exceed the maximum amount for that dependant.

Other tax credits that may be available for someone living with you:

bullet Family Caregiver Amount Tax Credit (Line 367) - for infirm dependent children under 18 at the end of the tax year.
bullet Amount for infirm dependants age 18 or older (Line 306)
bulletEligible Dependant Tax Credit (Line 305) - for a dependent child, or other dependent relatives.
bulletMedical expense tax credit for other eligible dependants (Line 331)
bullet Disability tax credit (Line 318)

Other Resources:

See our tables of non-refundable tax credits for the caregiver tax credit amounts federally and by province/territory.

Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Resources:

    Line 315 - Caregiver amount

See also - links to all information on related to persons with disabilities


Revised: October 30, 2016

Copyright © 2002 - 2017 Boat Harbour Investments Ltd. All Rights Reserved  See Reproduction of information from

Facebook  | Twitter  |  Google + |  Monthly Newsletter Sign-up  What’s New E-mail Notification RSS News Feed
The information on this site is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice.  Each person's situation differs, and a professional advisor can assist you in using the information on this web site to your best advantage. 
Please see our legal disclaimer regarding the use of information on our site, and our Privacy Policy regarding information that may be collected from visitors to our site.