Canadian Tax and
Financial Information
Foreign Tax Credit does not research or endorse any product   or service appearing in ads on this site.  Before making a major financial decision you  should consult a qualified professional.

Looking for US tax information?

Need an accounting, tax or financial advisor? Look in our Business Directory.      Stay Connected with!      Internet Explorer - Use compatibility view for calculators to work properly!

What's New
Personal Tax
Sales Taxes
Free in 30!
Financial Planning
Real Estate
Stocks Bonds etc.
British Columbia
Atlantic Provinces
Federal Budget
Provincial Budgets
Statistics etc.
Site Map
Business Directory
Advertise With Us
Contact Us/About Us
Links & Resources

Filing Your Return

Foreign Non-Business Income Tax and Foreign Tax Credit Line 405

Income Tax Act s. 20(11), 20(12), s. 126(1), s. 126(9)

Canadian residents who have had withholding taxes deducted from foreign non-business income (FNBI) may claim a foreign tax credit.  This should not be confused with the separate calculation for a tax credit for taxes paid on foreign business income (FBI).

Sponsored Advertisement

The calculation of this non-refundable tax credit may not be automatically done by your tax software, if you have foreign non-business income which is not reported on a T-slip.  These amounts may have to be manually typed into a worksheet in the software.

If an individual has anything more than withholding taxes from foreign dividends, the foreign tax credit can be a complex calculation.  It becomes more complex when the individual wants to deduct a portion of the foreign tax from income as well as using the foreign tax credit, because the portion deducted from income must be excluded from the foreign taxes in the tax credit calculation.  A detailed description of the foreign tax credit calculation was found in the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) bulletin IT-270, Foreign Tax Credit.  As of March 27, 2013, this bulletin is not available.  CRA has published income tax folio S5-F2-C1: Foreign Tax Credit, replacing the IT bulletin.

The foreign non-business tax credit is calculated separately for each foreign country.  However, if the total foreign taxes are less than $200, CRA will usually allow a single calculation.  When the tax credit has to be calculated separately for more than one country, the tax return is no longer eligible for NetFile.

The calculation for the tax credit uses the total foreign non-business income, such as pension income, employment income, director's fees, commissions, interest, dividends, and some taxable capital gains in excess of allowable capital losses.  Capital gains and losses on publicly traded securities are generally considered foreign income if the securities were traded on a foreign stock exchange.  However, if any of the foreign income is exempt from income or profits tax in the foreign country due to a tax treaty with that country, then it is not included in the calculation of the foreign tax credit.  Foreign non-business income is not reduced by net capital losses carried forward from a previous year.

When Canadians trade securities on US stock exchanges, the capital gains are exempt from tax in the US due to the tax treaty, so there should be no withholding tax deducted from proceeds of sale, and the gains from these sales should not be included in the foreign tax credit calculation.  If the account is actually held with a brokerage in the US, an IRS W-8Ben form must be filed with them to ensure there are no withholding taxes on sales proceeds.  If your trade confirmation for US securities shows a small amount titled "US tax", usually for a fraction of 1%, this amount is actual a securities exchange fee, not withholding tax.

When foreign property income (other than from real property) has had withholding tax in excess of 15% deducted, the excess can be deducted from income on line 232 of the personal tax return, "Other deductions", as a s. 20(11) deduction.  Only the 15% tax amount is included in calculating the foreign tax credit, and the excess reduces the amount of foreign non-business income.

If the federal foreign tax credit is less than the foreign tax you paid, you may also be able to claim a provincial or territorial tax credit.  For territories, and provinces other than Quebec, form T2036 Provincial Foreign Tax Credit is used.

The foreign taxes are often not completely recovered by the foreign tax credits.  Non-business foreign taxes which are not recovered as a tax credit may be deducted from income on line 232 of the personal tax return, "Other deductions", as a s. 20(12) deduction.  When this is done, the foreign tax credit calculation is then revised, by reducing both foreign non-business income and foreign tax paid by the amount of foreign tax deducted on line 232.

Forms on which the foreign tax credit is calculated:


T2209 Foreign Tax Credit


T2036 Provincial Foreign Tax Credit  

CRA Resources:


Line 205 Federal Foreign Tax Credit


IT-506, Foreign Income Taxes as a Deduction from Income

bulletS5-F2-C1: Foreign Tax Credit - this folio has a great deal of detail on the foreign tax credits for both business and non-business income.

Tax Tips:
   - If you don't understand this, you are not alone!
   - If your foreign taxes involve more than withholding taxes on dividends, get your tax return done (or at least reviewed) by a professional.


Revised: April 24, 2014
Sponsored Advertisement

Copyright © 2002 - 2015 Boat Harbour Investments Ltd. All Rights Reserved  See Reproduction of information from

Facebook  | Twitter  |  Google + |  Monthly Newsletter Sign-up  What’s New E-mail Notification RSS News Feed
The information on this site is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice.  Each person's situation differs, and a professional advisor can assist you in using the information on this web site to your best advantage.  See our Business Directory for tax, accounting and finance-related firms in your area.
Please see our legal disclaimer regarding the use of information on our site, and our Privacy Policy regarding information that may be collected from visitors to our site.