Canadian Tax and
Financial Information
Capital Gain Reserve

Ads keep this website free for you. does not research or endorse any product or service appearing in ads on this site.  Before making a major financial decision you  should consult a qualified professional.

Looking for US tax information?

Need an accounting, tax or financial advisor? Look in our Directory.  Use above search box to easily find your topic!   Stay Connected with!

What's New
Personal Tax
Sales Taxes
Free in 30!
Financial Planning
Real Estate
Stocks Bonds etc.
British Columbia
Atlantic Provinces
Federal Budget
Provincial Budgets
Statistics etc.
Site Map
Advertise With Us
Contact Us/About Us
Links & Resources

Filing Your Return  ->  Stocks, Bonds etc.  ->  Capital Gains and Losses -> Capital Gain Reserve

Capital Gain Reserve

Income Tax Act s. 40(1)(a)(iii), 40(1.1), 40(2)(a)

When you sell any type of property that results in a capital gain, it may be possible to spread the gain over a number of years.  This is done by claiming a capital gain reserve.

The reserve cannot be claimed in a tax year if you:

bulletwere not a resident of Canada at the end of the tax year, or at any time in the following year;
bulletwere exempt from paying tax at the end of the tax year, or at any time in the following year; or
bulletsold the capital property to a corporation that you control in any way.

Claiming the reserve is done on your tax return, by completing and filing Form T2017, Summary or Reserves on Dispositions of Capital Property.

There are three different categories for the capital gain reserve:

Dispositions to your child of family farm property, family fishing property after May 1, 2006, and small business corporation shares

All other property except donated non-qualifying securities

Gifts of non-qualifying securities (other than an excepted gift) to a qualified donee


See also:

   - Capital Gains and Losses - for other methods of reducing or eliminating capital gains

   - Election to designate the amount of proceeds when capital property is donated

Canada Revenue Agency information:

   - T4037 Capital Gains - search for Capital Gain Reserve

   - P113 Gifts and Income Tax

   - IT-288R2 (Archived) Gifts of Capital Property to a Charity and Others

   - Form T2017, Summary or Reserves on Dispositions of Capital Property

Tax Tip:  The capital gain reserve is a good tool for deferral, and sometimes elimination, of capital gains.  See your tax professional, and do some advance planning!

Revised: February 25, 2019


Copyright © 2002 Boat Harbour Investments Ltd. All Rights Reserved.  See Reproduction of information from

Facebook  | Twitter  |  Google + |  Monthly Newsletter Sign-up  What’s New E-mail Notification RSS News Feed
The information on this site is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice.  Each person's situation differs, and a professional advisor can assist you in using the information on this web site to your best advantage. 
Please see our legal disclaimer regarding the use of information on our site, and our Privacy Policy regarding information that may be collected from visitors to our site.