Canadian Tax and
Financial Information
Changing Your Return

Ads keep this website free for you. does not research or endorse any product or service appearing in ads on this site.  Before making a major financial decision you  should consult a qualified professional.

Looking for US tax information?

Need an accounting, tax or financial advisor? Look in our Directory.      Stay Connected with!

What's New
Personal Tax
Sales Taxes
Free in 30!
Financial Planning
Real Estate
Stocks Bonds etc.
British Columbia
Atlantic Provinces
Federal Budget
Provincial Budgets
Statistics etc.
Site Map
Advertise With Us
Contact Us/About Us
Links & Resources

Filing Your Return  -> Adjusting Your Tax Return

Changing Your Tax Return

Income Tax Act S. 142(4.2)

If you've filed your return and then determine that you need to make a change, either because you have received another T-slip, or because you didn't claim an expense and later learned it was deductible, you can request an adjustment to your tax return.

The time limit for filing most adjustments to your tax returns by mail is ten (10) years.  For a late or amended pension splitting election the time limit is three (3) years - see our Pension Splitting article.

You can request the change for your most recent return, or your returns for the previous 9 tax years, either online or by mail.  In 2018, you can request a change for the 2008 or later taxation years.

Requesting a Change Online

Requesting a change online is very simple, and is done by logging into your account at the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) My Account page.  You can request changes to more than one tax year in one session, but each tax year is done separately.  In order to request the change, it is helpful to know the line number from your tax return which you wish to change.  If you are trying to correct a prior return because you didn't enter all your RRSP contributions, see our article RRSP Contribution Not Recorded Last Year.

You can also use the online request if you forgot to apply for the GST/HST tax credit when you filed your tax return.

Requesting a Change by Mail

You can obtain a form T1-Adj, T1 Adjustment Request from the CRA web site, complete it and mail it in, along with documents supporting your change request.

How Long Will My Adjustment Take?

The processing time is usually within 2 weeks for an online request, and within 8 weeks for a mailed request.  CRA will either send you a reassessment notice indicating changes that were made to your return, or will explain in a letter why the requested changes were not made.

CRA Resources:

How to change your return

Revised: August 07, 2018


Copyright © 2002 Boat Harbour Investments Ltd. All Rights Reserved.  See Reproduction of information from

Facebook  | Twitter  |  Google + |  Monthly Newsletter Sign-up  What’s New E-mail Notification RSS News Feed
The information on this site is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice.  Each person's situation differs, and a professional advisor can assist you in using the information on this web site to your best advantage. 
Please see our legal disclaimer regarding the use of information on our site, and our Privacy Policy regarding information that may be collected from visitors to our site.