Ads keep this website free for you. does not research or endorse any product or service appearing in ads on this site.  Before making a major financial decision you  should consult a qualified professional.

Notice of Objection
Canadian Tax and
Financial Information

If you use an ad blocker, please consider a small contribution to help keep free for everyone.

Need an accounting, tax or financial advisor? Look in our Directory.  Use above search box to easily find your topic!   Stay Connected with!
What's New
Personal Tax
Sales Taxes
Financial Freedom
Financial Planning
Real Estate
British Columbia
Atlantic Provinces
Federal Budget
Prov/Terr Budgets
Statistics etc.
Site Map
Advertise With Us
Contact Us/About Us
Links & Resources
Filing Your Return -> Notice of Objection

Don't agree with your income tax assessment?
 - Filing a notice of objection

Income Tax Act s. 165

If you do not agree with your income tax Notice of Assessment, the first step would be to call Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to discuss the situation, and see if it can be easily resolved.  See the CRA  Contact Information including toll-free telephone numbers and approximate wait times.

If this does not work, you can file a notice of objection.  This can be done by writing a letter to the Chief of Appeals at your tax services office, or by filing form T400A Objection - Income Tax Act.

There are time limits for filing a notice of objection.  For individuals (other than a trust), or for a testamentary trust, the time limit is the later of:

bulletone year after the filing deadline of the tax return, or
bullet90 days after the mailing date of the Notice of Assessment

In every other case, the notice of objection must be filed within 90 days after the mailing date of the Notice of Assessment.

The following additional information can be found on the CRA website:

Taxpayer Bill of Rights

Complaints and Disputes

P148 Resolving Your Dispute:  Objections and Appeal Rights Under the Income Tax Act - this pamphlet includes a sample Notice of Objection letter, and instructions on what information to include.

After your notice of objection is filed, the Minister of National Revenue will notify you that it is:

bulletvacating the assessment
bulletconfirming the assessment, or
bulletreassessing Resources

Appeal Rights of Taxpayers

Your Rights as a Taxpayer - Taxpayer Bill of Rights / Taxpayers' Ombudsperson

Revised: November 28, 2021


Copyright © 2002 Boat Harbour Investments Ltd. All Rights Reserved.  See Reproduction of information from

Facebook  | Twitter  |  See What’s New, stay connected with by RSS or Email
The information on this site is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice.  Each person's situation differs, and a professional advisor can assist you in using the information on this web site to your best advantage. 
Please see our legal disclaimer regarding the use of information on our site, and our Privacy Policy regarding information that may be collected from visitors to our site.