Ads keep this website free for you. does not research or endorse any product or service appearing in ads on this site.  Before making a major financial decision you  should consult a qualified professional.

Changing Your Return
Canadian Tax and
Financial Information Home

What's New

Links & Resources

Site Map

Need an accounting, tax or financial advisor? Look in our Directory.  Use above search box to easily find your topic!   Stay Connected with!


Home  ->  Filing Your Return  -> Adjusting Your Tax Return

Changing / Amending Your Tax Return

Income Tax Act S. 142(4.2)

If you've filed your return and then determine that you need to make a change, either because you have received another T-slip, or because you didn't claim an expense and later learned it was deductible, you can request an adjustment to your tax return. However, wait until you get your Notice of Assessment (NOA) from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) before making any changes.

The time limit for filing most adjustments to your tax returns by mail is ten (10) years.  For a late or amended pension splitting election the time limit is three (3) years - see our Pension Splitting article.

You can request the change for your most recent return, or your returns for the previous 9 tax years, either online or by mail.  In 2024, you can request a change for the 2014 or later taxation years.

If you used a tax professional to file your tax return, they can also file an amendment for you.

Requesting a Change Online

Requesting a change online is very simple, and is done by logging into your account at the CRA My Account page.  You can request changes to more than one tax year in one session, but each tax year is done separately.

There are some changes you cannot make using My Account.  See the link at bottom to the CRA Change my return information for exclusions.

When you log into My Account, if it shows a link to your most recent assessment on the Overview page, you can select the Change my return icon in order to make a change.  For a prior year, click on

bulletGo to Tax returns details, then
bulletClick on the Status of return (Assessed or Reassessed) for the year you want to revise.
bulletOnce at the assessment page, go to the bottom of the page and click on the Change this return icon.
bulletYou will be prompted for the line number that you wish to change on your tax return.

If you are trying to correct a prior return because you didn't enter all your RRSP contributions, see our article RRSP Contribution Not Recorded Last Year.

You can also use the online request if you forgot to apply for the GST/HST tax credit when you filed your tax return.

ReFILE Online Filing

If you filed your return using tax preparation software, you can use the same software to change your return, using CRA's ReFILE service (see link at bottom).  CRA's Certified tax software for the NETFILE program indicates what level of ReFILE service each software product provides.  ReFILE can be used to file amendments for the immediately past tax year and 3 previous tax years.  See the NetFILE article for dates of availability for ReFILE, which are the same as for NetFILE.

Some things cannot be changed using ReFILE - see the CRA web page How to change your return, and scroll down to ReFILE.

To do this in your tax software, instead of Open an existing return, you probably have to choose Change a filed return.

Requesting a Change by Mail

You can obtain a form T1-Adj, T1 Adjustment Request from the CRA web site, complete it and mail it in, along with documents supporting your change request.

How Long Will My Adjustment Take?

The CRA goal for processing time is 2 weeks for an online request, and 8 weeks for a mailed request.  CRA will either send you a reassessment notice indicating changes that were made to your return, or will explain in a letter why the requested changes were not made.

Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Resources

How to change your return

ReFILE: Online adjustments for income tax and benefit returns

Service Standards in the CRA

Check CRA Processing Times for Various Services

Revised: March 21, 2024


Copyright © 2002 Boat Harbour Investments Ltd. All Rights Reserved.  See Reproduction of information from

Facebook  | Twitter  |  See What’s New, stay connected with by RSS or Email
The information on this site is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice.  Each person's situation differs, and a professional advisor can assist you in using the information on this web site to your best advantage. 
Please see our legal disclaimer regarding the use of information on our site, and our Privacy Policy regarding information that may be collected from visitors to our site.