Ads keep this website free for you. does not research or endorse any product or service appearing in ads on this site.  Before making a major financial decision you  should consult a qualified professional.

Province of Employment
Canadian Tax and
Financial Information

If you use an ad blocker, please consider a small contribution to help keep free for everyone.

Need an accounting, tax or financial advisor? Look in our Directory.  Use above search box to easily find your topic!   Stay Connected with!
What's New
Personal Tax
Sales Taxes
Financial Freedom
Financial Planning
Real Estate
British Columbia
Atlantic Provinces
Federal Budget
Prov/Terr Budgets
Statistics etc.
Site Map
Advertise With Us
Contact Us/About Us
Links & Resources
Business -> Payroll taxes -> Which provincial or territorial tax tables should be used?

Which Province's Tax Tables Should I Use for my Employee?

The employee's province or territory of employment depends on whether or not your employee is required to report for work at your place of business.

If your employee lives in one province, but reports to your place of business in another province, then use the tax tables for the province of your place of business.

If your employee is not required to report for work to your place of business, then you should use the tax tables for the province or territory in which your business is located, and from where you pay the employee's salary.  If the employee is working from home in another province, you would still use the tax tables for the province or territory from where you pay the employee's salary.

Your "place of business" does not have to be a permanent location, but can include temporary locations such as a construction site.

If your business does not have a permanent establishment in Canada, but you have employees working in Canada, then you would use the tax tables titled "In Canada Beyond the Limits of any Province or Outside Canada Payroll Deductions Tables".

Due to the fact that the employee will file their tax return for their province of residence, the amount of taxes deducted at source may be too much or too little.  If there will be a big difference at the end of the year, the employee can request either increased or reduced income tax deductions.  Increasing tax deductions can be done by requesting this on the TD1 form.  To reduce tax deductions in this situation, the employee must complete a Letter of Authority which takes Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) 4 to 6 weeks to process.

For more information and examples, see the link below to the CRA information on this topic.

Non-employment Income

For payments of pensions and retiring allowances, the provincial or territorial tables of the recipient's province or territory of residence should be used.

Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Resources

Payroll Deductions Online Calculator which is free of charge

Payroll deductions and contributions

Which provincial or territorial tax tables should you use?

Related Article:

For Which Province do I File a Tax Return?

Revised: March 24, 2022

Copyright © 2002 Boat Harbour Investments Ltd. All Rights Reserved.  See Reproduction of information from

Facebook  | Twitter  |  See What’s New, stay connected with by RSS or Email
The information on this site is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice.  Each person's situation differs, and a professional advisor can assist you in using the information on this web site to your best advantage. 
Please see our legal disclaimer regarding the use of information on our site, and our Privacy Policy regarding information that may be collected from visitors to our site.