Canadian Tax and
Financial Information
Free Tax Service

Ads keep this website free for you. does not research or endorse any product or service appearing in ads on this site.  Before making a major financial decision you  should consult a qualified professional.

Looking for US tax information?

Need an accounting, tax or financial advisor? Look in our Directory.  Use above search box to easily find your topic!   Stay Connected with!

What's New
Personal Tax
Sales Taxes
Free in 30!
Financial Planning
Real Estate
Stocks Bonds etc.
British Columbia
Atlantic Provinces
Federal Budget
Provincial Budgets
Statistics etc.
Site Map
Advertise With Us
Contact Us/About Us
Links & Resources

Filing Your Return  ->  Disabilities - > Free Tax Preparation Service

Free Tax Preparation Service - Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP)

Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) sponsors the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program, which provides free help to complete income tax returns.  This free service is available to people with a modest income and a simple tax situation, who are not able to prepare their own tax returns.  Returns will not be prepared for deceased persons, bankrupt individuals, or for people with capital gains/losses, business income or rental income.

For 2018 tax returns, modest income is considered to be approximately $35,000 for an individual and $45,000 for 2 people, plus $2,500 for each additional dependant.

Your tax situation is simple if you have no income, or if your sources of income are from the following:

    - employment (as long as you have no employment expenses)
    - pension
    - benefits such as CPP, disability, CCB, EI, social assistance
    - RRSP
    - support payments
    - scholarships, fellowships, bursaries or grants
    - interest under $1,000

Your tax situation is not simple if you:

    - are self-employed
    - have employment expenses
    - have business or rental income and expenses
    - have capital gains or losses
    - file for bankruptcy
    - are completing a tax return for a deceased person

There are volunteer tax clinics in many communities.  Most of them operate in March and April.  For more information on this service, and a phone # to call for more information, see Need a hand with your taxes on the CRA web site.

Another Easy Tax-Filing Option - File My Return

Another way to file your return if your situation is simple, is to use the new (for 2017 tax year) File My Return service, filing by telephone.

See also Tax Information for Students.

Revised: April 11, 2019

Copyright © 2002 Boat Harbour Investments Ltd. All Rights Reserved.  See Reproduction of information from

Facebook  | Twitter  |  Google + |  Monthly Newsletter Sign-up  What’s New E-mail Notification RSS News Feed
The information on this site is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice.  Each person's situation differs, and a professional advisor can assist you in using the information on this web site to your best advantage. 
Please see our legal disclaimer regarding the use of information on our site, and our Privacy Policy regarding information that may be collected from visitors to our site.