Canadian Tax and
Financial Information
Investing Tax Issues

Ads keep this website free for you. does not research or endorse any product or service appearing in ads on this site.  Before making a major financial decision you  should consult a qualified professional.

Looking for US tax information?

Need an accounting, tax or financial advisor? Look in our Directory.  Use above search box to easily find your topic!   Stay Connected with!

What's New
Personal Tax
Sales Taxes
Free in 30!
Financial Planning
Real Estate
Stocks Bonds etc.
British Columbia
Atlantic Provinces
Federal Budget
Provincial Budgets
Statistics etc.
Site Map
Advertise With Us
Contact Us/About Us
Links & Resources

Filing Your Return  ->  Stocks, Bonds etc. -> Investing Tax Issues, Tax Treatment of Investments

Tax Issues re Investing, and Tax Treatment of Different Types of Investments

Capital or income?

Trade date and settlement date

Reporting foreign transaction amounts on your tax return

Tax treatment of income from different investments

This information is regarding investments which are held outside of RRSPs or other registered accounts - i.e., in non-registered accounts.

If you have purchased an investment in a non-registered account, it is your responsibility to keep records which will allow you to calculate the adjusted cost base (ACB) of that investment, in Canadian dollars.  If you have non-registered investments held in US$, it's very important to keep accurate records of the date the investments were purchased, and the exchange rate on that date, to calculate your Canadian dollar ACB.  Your brokerage statements will show you the US$ ACB of your investments, but will not show you the Cdn$ ACB.

If you have disposed of an investment held in a non-registered account, it is your responsibility to record that disposal on your income tax return for the year in which it was sold, in Canadian dollars.

Most sales of investments will be shown on a T5008 Statement of Securities Transactions form which will be received from your brokerage.  However, some disposals may not be shown on the T5008, including transfers to another account.  They still must be reported as dispositions.

Most purchases and sales of investments will be shown on the Trading Summary that is provided by the brokerage.  Again, some purchases and sales may not be shown, such as transfers to or from another account, some of which could be deemed dispositions.

If you use a professional tax preparer, it is your responsibility to provide them with all the information required to properly record disposals and their ACB.

Tax Tip:  Even if a sale is not included on the T5008 or trading summary, it is the taxpayer's responsibility to ensure that the sale is recorded on Schedule 3 of their tax return.  Using a professional tax preparer? It is still the taxpayer's responsibility!


    - Interest-paying bonds

    - Non-interest paying bonds (strip bonds)

Treasury bills (T-bills)

Shares in corporations - Canadian and foreign

Call and put options - timing of proceeds received for tax purposes

Income trusts - how to calculate adjusted cost base and capital gains

Mutual funds - how to calculate adjusted cost base and capital gains

Exchange-traded funds (ETFs) - how to calculate adjusted cost base and capital gains

Flow-through shares

Futures contracts, commodity futures

Term deposits, guaranteed income certificates

Warrants and rights to acquire additional shares

See also:

Which investments should be held in an RRSP/RRIF, TFSA, or non-registered account?

Which investments should be held inside vs outside the RRSP?

Recommended stocks (ETFs) for inside or outside of your RRSP or TFSA

Investment income tax rates - Try to earn your investment income (outside of RRSPs) at the lowest tax rate possible.

Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) publications:

    - IT-479R Transactions in Securities, and the associated Special Release IT479SR (both Archived)

    - Line 121 - Interest and other investment income

Revised: April 08, 2019

Copyright © 2002 Boat Harbour Investments Ltd. All Rights Reserved.  See Reproduction of information from

Facebook  | Twitter  |  Monthly Newsletter Sign-up  What’s New E-mail Notification RSS News Feed
The information on this site is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice.  Each person's situation differs, and a professional advisor can assist you in using the information on this web site to your best advantage. 
Please see our legal disclaimer regarding the use of information on our site, and our Privacy Policy regarding information that may be collected from visitors to our site.