Ads keep this website free for you. does not research or endorse any product or service appearing in ads on this site.  Before making a major financial decision you  should consult a qualified professional.

In Kind RRSP and RRIF Withdrawals
Canadian Tax and
Financial Information

If you use an ad blocker, please consider a small contribution to help keep free for everyone.

Need an accounting, tax or financial advisor? Look in our Directory.  Use above search box to easily find your topic!   Stay Connected with!
What's New
Personal Tax
Sales Taxes
Financial Freedom
Financial Planning
Real Estate
British Columbia
Atlantic Provinces
Federal Budget
Prov/Terr Budgets
Statistics etc.
Site Map
Advertise With Us
Contact Us/About Us
Links & Resources
RRSPs RRIFs and TFSAs -> In kind withdrawals

Making "In Kind" Withdrawals From an RRSP or a RRIF

An "in kind" withdrawal can be made from a registered retirement savings plan (RRSP), or from a registered retirement income fund (RRIF), which would include LIFs and LRIFs, since they are considered to be RRIFs under the Income Tax Act.  A withdrawal of investments can be transferred to a non-registered account, or they could be transferred to a tax-free savings account (TFSA), subject to the amount of contribution room available.  The TFSA or non-registered account would have to be in the same account holder name as the RRIF or RRSP in order to do the transfer.  A transfer to the TFSA of a spouse would have to first have the withdrawn investments going to a joint non-registered account.  From there the investments could be transferred in kind to the TFSA of the spouse.  There would be no capital gain unless the investments increased in value, after being withdrawn from the RRSP or RRIF, by the time they were transferred into the TFSA.  If they decrease in value this would be a superficial loss which would not be deductible unless the transfer to the TFSA is done more than 30 days after the withdrawal from the RRSP or RRIF.

Withdrawal Amount = New Adjusted Cost Base

When an in kind withdrawal is done, the amount of the withdrawal will be the market value of the investment in Canadian dollars at the time of the withdrawal.  If the investment is traded on a US stock exchange, an exchange rate is applied by the brokerage to convert the transaction to Canadian dollars.  The exchange rate will be the rate that the brokerage would have applied if you had sold the stock.  If the investment is transferred directly into a US$ account, the exchange rate used by the brokerage will be shown in the transaction comments, and the Canadian $ amount will be used on the tax slip reporting the RRSP or RRIF transaction.

The amount recorded for the withdrawal (excluding the amount of any applicable withholding taxes) will become the new adjusted cost base of the stock, to be used for determining the capital gain or loss on disposal when the stock is sold at some time in the future.

RRSP in Kind Withdrawals

When an in kind withdrawal is made from an RRSP, the RRSP lump sum withholding tax rates apply.  For example, if you want to withdraw $15,000, in any province besides Quebec, the tax amount will be 20% x $15,000, or $3,000.  The net amount of the withdrawal after tax is $12,000.  This means you would be able to transfer out investments with a current market value of $12,000.  If you request a transfer of investments of more than $12,000, the total including tax increases to more than $15,000.  This would result in a withholding tax rate increase to 20%.  The total amount of the withdrawal, which includes the amount of the withholding tax (a total of $15,000 in the above example), will be included in the taxpayer's taxable income for the year.  The cost basis of the stock withdrawn will be $12,000, the market value at the time of withdrawal.

In order to do the transfer out of investments, your RRSP must have sufficient cash to pay the withholding tax.  You may have to sell some investments in order to have the cash on hand.  The sale of investments usually takes 3 days to settle, after which you can do your "in kind" withdrawal.

RRIF in Kind Withdrawals

No tax is withheld when the minimum amount is withdrawn from a registered retirement income fund RRIF.  When withdrawals in excess of the minimum amount are made, the RRSP lump sum withholding tax rates apply, but only to the excess.

Because no cash is needed to pay tax from the RRIF when the minimum amount is withdrawn, it is not necessary to sell any investments before making the withdrawal.  If an in kind withdrawal exceeds the minimum withdrawal amount, there will be withholding tax deducted based on the excess over the minimum, so there must be cash available in the RRIF to pay this tax.

The withdrawal from the RRIF is included in the taxpayer's taxable income, so depending on the individual's circumstances, tax may be payable when the tax return is filed.

See above re the new ACB of the investment.

The Minister of Finance issued a press release on November 20, 2008 indicating that he was expecting all financial institutions to accommodate in kind transfers from a RRIF, at no cost to clients, or offer another solution that achieved the same result.

Revised: October 12, 2021


Copyright © 2002 Boat Harbour Investments Ltd. All Rights Reserved.  See Reproduction of information from

Facebook  | Twitter  |  See What’s New, stay connected with by RSS or Email
The information on this site is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice.  Each person's situation differs, and a professional advisor can assist you in using the information on this web site to your best advantage. 
Please see our legal disclaimer regarding the use of information on our site, and our Privacy Policy regarding information that may be collected from visitors to our site.