Home -> Personal Tax -> Dividend tax credits -> Eligible dividend tax credit -> Dividend Tax Credit Rates Eligible Dividends
Federal & Provincial/Territorial Dividend Tax Credit Rates for Eligible Dividends
There are no rate changes thus far for 2023.
Rates are as known at September 14, 2021.
Prior to 2006, there was only one type of dividend, and the dividend gross-up was 25%.
(1) See NL dividend tax credits re 2022 rate increase, and for detail on rates for 2010 and 2014, when the rates changed effective July 1st.
(2) NB rates for 2016 and 2017 revised by Bill 32, which received Royal Assent in July 2016.
(3) PEI dividend tax credit rate for 2010 to 2012 for eligible dividends revised by Bill 26, Income Tax (Dividend Tax Credits) Amendment Act in December 2010.
(4) NS is as per Bill 27 Financial Measures (2011) Act, introduced in April 2011.
(5) YT rate is dependent on corporate income tax rates, gross-up % and highest personal income tax (PIT) rate. Revised as per YT 2015 Budget increase in highest PIT rate. The 2018 rate is revised based in the reduction of the general corporate income tax rate effective July 1, 2017, as per the YT 2017 Budget.
(6) NT rates for 2011 and later years as per legislation revised in November 2010.
(7) BC rate for 2012 to 2018 as per BC 2012 Budget. The BC September 2017 Budget increased the eligible dividend tax credit rate from 10% of the taxable dividend to 12%, effective January 1, 2019. See BC dividend tax credits.
(8) MB rate for 2012 and later years as per MB 2012 Budget.
(9) ON rate for 2014 and later years as per ON November 7, 2013 Economic Outlook. See ON dividend tax credit article.
(10) SK rate as % of taxable dividend was revised for 2018 and subsequent years to 11% of the taxable dividend by Bill 84, November 2017.
(11) QC rate for 2018 reduced for dividends received after March 27, 2018, as per the Quebec 2018 Budget. Reduced again for 2019 and 2020. See Quebec dividend tax credits.
(12) The Alberta 2019 Budget and June 29, 2020 Recovery Plan announced the reduction to the 2021 dividend tax credit rate for eligible dividends. See Alberta dividend tax credits.
Maximum amount of dividends that can be received before any tax is payable
Revised: March 26, 2023
Copyright © 2002 Boat Harbour Investments Ltd. All Rights Reserved. See Reproduction of information from TaxTips.ca