Personal Income Tax Calculators, RRSP/RRIF calculators, investing calculators and more
- current and prior years tax brackets and combined federal/provincial marginal tax rates for eligible and non-eligible Canadian dividends, capital gains and other income.
- includes detailed information about income, deductions, and many tax credits
- 10 minute rapid-fire discussion videos from the Video Tax News Team, for Canadian Tax and Financial Professionals.
Life in the Tax Lane videos from previous years:
- of taxes payable for all provinces/territories for employment income and investment income (dividends vs interest)
Dividend Tax Credits - for both eligible and non-eligible dividends
USTaxTips.net - US tax information
- see US Citizens Outside the United States on USTaxTips.net for information on filing requirements for US citizens residing in Canada, including Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) requirements, and Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program (OVDP). The OVDP is closing, and the deadline for submissions is September 28, 2018.
Personal Income Tax Articles
How is income tax calculated in Canada?
Who has to pay tax in Canada, and on what income?
Barter and BitCoin transactions can result in taxable income and deductible expenses.
Selling goods on eBay may result in taxable income.
Why should I file if I don't have income or have to pay tax?
Income splitting- Make sure both spouses will have the same annual income when they retire.
Gifts and inheritances - are they taxable?
Medical expenses - Claim them on the tax return of the spouse with the lowest income.
Tax shelter donation arrangements, and gifts of property.
US estate tax may be payable by Canadian residents.
US taxes withheld from gambling or lottery winnings of Canadian residents.
Students - Scholarships and awards, tax credits, moving expenses, private school, etc.
Employee loans and loan subsidies may result in a taxable benefit to the employee
TD1 forms: Make sure yours are up-to-date, TD1X forms for commission employees
Employee and partner GST rebate for those who have deductible employment or partnership expenses
Employees of foreign firms - what tax must be withheld by your employer?
Non-resident workers in Canada - employees, service providers, actors
Retention of books and records by an individual (including tax returns)
T4 slips - when are they required?
Foreign spin-offs - Tax deferral for distributions.
Interest expense on money borrowed to purchase stocks and bonds (securities) - can I write it off?
Investment income tax rates - Try to earn your investment income (outside of RRSPs) at the lowest tax rate possible.
Investment losses - Make use of them.
Transfer shares to your RRSP, but not at a loss!
Offshore investment schemes - warning from CRA
What expenses can be deducted from property rental income?
Real estate sales - are they taxable? What about my principal residence?
Can I write off interest expense on money borrowed to purchase real estate?
Revised: March 10, 2020
Revised: March 10, 2020
Copyright © 2002 Boat Harbour Investments Ltd. All Rights Reserved. See Reproduction of information from TaxTips.ca