Canadian Tax and
Financial Information
2013 and 2014 Canadian Income Tax Calculator - New Format does not research or endorse any product   or service appearing in ads on this site.  Before making a major financial decision you  should consult a qualified professional.

Looking for US tax information?

Need an accounting, tax or financial advisor? Look in our Business Directory. Calculators -> Canadian Tax Calculator instructions  This calculator may retain data on your computer for the next time you use it, depending on your browser and settings. If you are using a public computer, click the reset button before closing the calculator. See instructions link for settings.  If you are using Internet Explorer, use compatibility view to print properly.
 Type amounts into yellow cells.  Tab or use your mouse to click on the next cell.
 Amounts are recalculated automatically when you tab out of a cell or click elsewhere with your mouse, or click the Calculate button. 
 Choose your province 
 Choose tax year 
 To open links without closing the calculator, right-click on the link and select open in new window. 
 Combined Taxes Payable 
 Birth year 
Birth year is needed for
CPP premiums and many
tax credits. Not needed
if you are age 19 to 64.
Birth year is needed for
CPP premiums and many
tax credits. Not needed
if you are age 19 to 64.
 Birth month (needed for CPP premiums if turning 18 or 70 during year) 
 Are you eligible to claim the disability amount tax credit? 
Disability Tax Credit
To qualify, a form T2201
Disability Tax Credit
Certificate must be
completed by a qualified
person (usually a medical
doctor), certified and
 Are you single? (must be "N" to calculate spouse tax) 
 Are you eligible to claim the working income tax benefit (WITB)? 
To be eligible, must be resident
in Canada throughout the year.
Must be 19 yrs old (unless
single parent, or married or
living common-law). NOT
eligible if in prison for at least
90 days during tax year. Click
on link for further information.
 <- Grand Total 
 Information re dependent children and eligible dependent tax credit 
# children age 16 or less at Dec 31 of tax year -born
Children age 16 or less:
Used for Federal, MB and YT
child fitness tax credit and
Federal dependent child credit.
# children age 17 at Dec 31 of tax year -born
Children age 17:
Used for Federal
dependent child credit,
and for NS sport and
recreational activity
# children age 18 at Dec 31
Children age 18:
For equivalent to spouse,
MB Family Tax Benefit and
Refundable Personal Tax
Credit, ON/NS/PE Tax
Reduction, and SK Child
Amount Tax Credit. The SK
child amount must be claimed
first by the lower income
spouse. Unused amounts will
automatically be transferred to
the higher income spouse by
the calculator (included in
Amounts transferred from
spouse in the taxes and
premiums area).
Total # children age 17 or less at Dec 31 Total # children age 18 or less at Dec 31
If not single, claim Federal child amount tax credit on the return of  
Federal child amount can be claimed by
either spouse. If federal tax is reduced
to zero for the spouse claiming this
credit, change the claim to the other
spouse to see if total taxes are reduced.
The calculator will automatically transfer
an unused amount (included in "Amounts
transferred from spouse"), but in some
situations this still does not maximize the
child amount claimed.
 If eligible, claim the equivalent to spouse (eligible dependent) tax credit for ONE of the following dependents: 
Child age 18 or less at the end of year
Equivalent to spouse:
To determine if you are
eligible for this credit,
click on link for more
 Age of this child at the end of year (zero if under 1) 
OR other eligible relative
Equivalent to spouse:
To determine if you are
eligible for this credit,
click on link for more
 Net income of dependent claimed as equivalent to spouse 
 INCOME   Taxable Income 
Income from:
Federal Line#  Taxpayer 
Employment (T4 box 14) Line 101
Are you required to pay EI premiums on ALL the above earnings (up to annual max)?
If you answered "N" above, please enter the insurable amount of your earnings, if any, below:
EI insurable earnings     
EI insurable earnings:
Usually same as employment earnings
Are you required to pay CPP contributions on ALL the above earnings (up to annual max)?
Required to pay CPP?
Use if you are 65 to 70 and have
elected to NOT pay CPP
premiums after starting to collect
your CPP retirement pension.
Also need to enter # of months
elected, below.
Use if you turned 18 or 70 in the
year, and also enter your birth
month above.
If you answered "N" above, please enter the pensionable amount of your earnings, if any, below:
CPP pensionable earnings     
CPP pensionable earnings:
Usually same as employment earnings
Universal child care benefit (UCCB) (RC62 box 10): Line 117
- will be claimed by spouse with lower "net income before adjustments"
This amount is also used in
the calculation for the
"children under 6" credit
for NS, NU and PE.
Employment insurance regular benefits (EI)  (T4E box 15, if rate in box 7 is 30%)
EI benefits:
If your EI benefits are not subject to
clawback, enter them as "Other income"
below. There is no clawback when (1) a
claimant was paid regular EI benefits for
less than one week in the ten years
prior to the taxation year of the current
benefits, or (2) the EI benefits are
"special benefits", such as (a)
pregnancy, maternity, or parental
benefits, (b) benefits due to a
prescribed illness, injury or quarantine,
or (c) compassionate care benefits.

Old Age Security (OAS) (T4A(OAS) box 18) Line 113
CPP/QPP retirement or disability pension (T4A(P) box 20) Line 114
CPP retirement pension:
Also enter # of months that
you were collecting CPP
during the year, if you are
>65 and have elected to
not pay CPP contributions.
# months in year collecting CPP pension
If you are 65 to 70 and collecting CPP, please indicate the # of months, if any, for which
    you are electing to NOT make CPP contributions in the year
Self-employment income (include bus. income/loss from rentals) Line 135-143
Rental income can be
business or property
income. These are
treated differently for tax
purposes. Click the link for
more information.
Property income/loss from
rentals goes in Other
CPP pensionable self-employment earnings 
Capital gains in excess of capital losses (zero if negative) - actual, not taxable
Cdn dividends eligible for enhanced div tax credit (T5 box 24) Line 120
Cdn non-eligible dividends (T5 box 10) Line 180, also in Line 120 
RRSP/RRIF withdrawals (when not eligible for pension tax credit)
Other income (EI special benefits, interest, foreign dividends, some pensions, etc)
Other income includes:
-Interest, foreign dividends
-Property income/loss from rentals
-Pension income for age< 65,
unless it is qualified pension income
-Other income
Pension income (eligible for pension tax credit for persons 65+)
Qualified pension income (eligible for pension credit for any age)
  Qualified pension income (eligible for pension tax credit even if taxpayer is under 65) includes
   - life annuity payments from a superannuation or pension plan
   - pmts from a RRIF, or annuity pmts from an RRSP or from a DPSP, received as a result of the death of a spouse or common-law partner.
Workers' compensation benefits (box 10 on the T5007 slip) Line 144
Social assistance payments Line 145
Net federal supplements (box 21 on the T4A (OAS) slip) Line 146
Workers' compensation, social assistance and net federal supplements are included above, and deducted below to arrive at taxable income.
NS Seniors with GIS income on line 146 and provincial taxes payable on line 428 may get a refund of tax. Subtotal
Pension splitting - maximum allowable is 50% of eligible pension income.  Make sure birth year entered for both Taxpayer and Spouse.
Make sure marital status above is correct, and enter number of months married.
Number of months married or living common-law
A. Total pension income eligible for pension tax credit (based on age)
Maximum pension amount transferable (50% x A/12 x #months married)
Amount that you are electing to transfer - from taxpayer to spouse
Amount that you are electing to transfer - from spouse to taxpayer
Transfer of pension income Line 116 $ from taxpayer to spouse 
$ from spouse to taxpayer 
 Any resulting additions to pension income are shown here, and reductions to income are in deductions area on Line 210. 
After pension splitting - pension income eligible for pension tax credit
Transfer of tax withheld from eligible pension income:
 The tax deducted from pension income should also be included in the "Total income tax deducted" (at bottom). 
Total tax deducted from pension income of taxpayer  
Only include taxes
deducted from the pension income.
Total tax deducted from pension income of spouse  
Only include taxes
deducted from the pension income.
Total income for tax purposes - line 150
RRSP deduction Line 208
Other deductions (RPP, union dues, child care, interest expense, etc.)
Child care costs - not checked to see if exceeding limits Line 214
Deduction for elected split-pension amount Line 210
Deduction for 50% of CPP on self-employment income Line 222
Net income before adjustments (for calculation of clawbacks, zero if negative) - Line 234
Clawback of EI and OAS Line 235
Net income for tax purposes - Line 236
Workers' compensation, social assistance, net federal supplements
Net capital losses of other years (after Oct 17, 2000) Line 253
Non-capital losses of other years Line 252
Taxable income (zero if negative) - Line 260
Less dividend gross-up
Add back non-taxable portion of capital gains less capital losses carried forward
Add back clawbacks (the clawbacks are treated as another tax for the average tax rate calculation)
Adjusted taxable income (zero if negative) for average tax rate calculation at bottom
Public transit costs
* Fed/BC/YT child fitness-max $500 ea. age 16 or less, 18 or less for disabled
 Max credit is greater for disabled. 
* ON refundable child activity-max $535 in 2013, $540 in 2014, more for disabled
* MB fitness tax credit - max $500 for up to age 24
* Fed/BC/MB child arts - max $500 each age 16 or less, 18 or less for disabled
* NS Sport/recreation amounts  - max $500 for each child age 17 or less
* SK refundable active families benefit-max $150 ea. ages 6 to 17
Federal first-time home buyers' tax credit (max $5,000 per qualifying home)
* SK first-time home buyers' tax credit (max $10,000 per qualifying home)
BC Seniors home renovation tax credit-refundable (max $10,000 per home)
ON healthy homes renovation tax credit-refundable (max $10,000 per home)
Medical expenses-usually best claimed by lower income spouse
Charitable donations-usually best claimed by higher income spouse
Is this a donation of money (not in-kind donation) and the first donation after 2007 for taxpayer and spouse?
* These are not checked to ensure that the maximum allowable amount is not exceeded.
Fitness and activity credits can be split between spouses, are available to greater age for child with disability
(except MB, NS and SK), and double the amount is available for child with disability (except NS and SK).
Medical and donations can be claimed by either spouse-see which one works best.
Donations can be carried forward and used in a future year, or split with spouse.
Medical expenses can be claimed for any 12 month period ending in the tax year.
Homebuyers' tax credit can be shared by spouses - see what works best.
Students Taxpayer
Student loan interest (can be carried forward up to 5 years)     Sch 1  Line 319
Unused tuition/education/text amounts from prior year:   Federal
Resident of different province at the previous year end - use the federal unused tuition/education/textbook amount as the provincial amount, unless moved to ON or PE.  If moved to ON from QC use federal amount, otherwise use provincial amount.  If moved to PE from QC use federal amount, otherwise use lower of federal or provincial amounts.      
Disabled students - claim full time months for part time months enrolled.
Eligible tuition fees
Federal education/textbook amounts Part time- # of months
Full time - # of months
Part time
Full time
Unused tuition/education/textbook amounts before transfers to spouse Federal
Maximum allowable transfer from spouse   Federal
Unused amounts to transfer from spouse   Federal
Tax credits for age, pension, disability, and child (except NS and PE child under 6) amounts are automatically transferred to other spouse if unused.
Basic personal amount
Age amount (reduced above certain income levels)
Senior supplementary (SK)
Dependent children under 18 (Fed, YT), SK under 19
Amount for children under 6 (NS, NU, PE) = UCCB
Family tax benefit (MB)
Employment credit amount (Fed/YT)
Pension amount
Disability amount
Child care costs (NL only)
Public transit amount (Federal only and YT only)
Child fitness amount (Federal, BC, MB, YT), and NS sport/recreation amount
Children's arts amount (Federal, BC, MB, YT)
Fed/SK first-time homebuyers' amount
Employment insurance
CPP on empl earnings
1/2 CPP on self-empl earnings
Tuition, education and textbook amounts
Amounts transferred from spouse
Student loan interest (see bottom for amount unused)
Medical expenses
Total amount for non-refundable tax credits (B)
Non-refundable tax credits @ (B) x
Donations tax credit
Tax subtotal before dividend tax credits, zero if negative
Ontario provincial surtax 2014 only
Enhanced dividend tax credit
Small business dividend tax credit
Additional tax for alternative minimum tax (AMT)
Provincial surtax except Ontario 2014
Low income tax reduction
ON refundable children's activity credit / SK active families benefit
BC seniors home reno tax credit / ON healthy homes tax credit - refundable
Federal refundable medical expense supplement
Federal refundable working income tax benefit
Ontario health premium
Other refundable tax credits available in BC, MB, ON, NU, YT - choose below, and enter the amount of the credit as a NEGATIVE amount (not checked)
Income tax payable (refundable if negative)
 Line 420 
 Line 428 
Clawback payable re EI and OAS Line 422
CPP on self-employment income Line 421
Total payable by taxpayer / (refundable if negative)  before deducting taxes paid 
Total income tax deducted (information slips/instalments) - not CPP/EI premiums
Income tax deducted:
Include both federal and
provincial income tax paid.
Do not include CPP
contributions or EI
premiums shown on T4.
 include all income tax paid 
Income tax deducted:
Include both federal and
provincial income tax paid.
Do not include CPP
contributions or EI
premiums shown on T4.
Transfer of withholding tax re pension splitting
Adjusted total income tax credits
Balance payable (refund due if negative) after above payments/credits
CPP paid on employment income
EI paid on employment income
Total taxes, clawbacks, CPP/EI premiums
Net income before taxes / before RRSP deduction
Net income after taxes / before RRSP deduction
Tax savings re RRSPs / Marginal tax rate (see note below)
Average tax rate based on taxable income
= total taxes, clawbacks, CPP/EI divided by taxable income
Avg tax rate based on adjusted taxable income
Note:  RRSP contributions by one spouse may also reduce the taxes payable of the other spouse - this is not reflected in the RRSP savings.
When RRSP contributions cause UCCB income to move from one spouse to the other, tax savings re RRSPs are not accurate.
Unused student loan interest
Donations in excess of 75% of net income - carry forward
 Alternative minimum tax (AMT) is estimated based on available information. 
This calculator is intended to be used for planning purposes.  It does not include every available tax credit.  We strive for accuracy, but cannot guarantee it.  Calculations are based on rates known as of January 25, 2014.  Ontario 2014 dividend tax credit rates and surtax calculation are based on proposals for which draft legislation is not yet available. BC MSP rates for 2015 use 2014 rates, as 2015 rates have not yet been announced.

Revised: March 16, 2014


Sponsored Advertisement








Sponsored Advertisement








Sponsored Advertisement

Copyright © 2002 - 2014 Boat Harbour Investments Ltd. All Rights Reserved  See Reproduction of information from

Facebook | Twitter | Google + | Monthly Newsletter Sign-up | What’s New E-mail Notification | RSS News Feed
The information on this site is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice.  Each person's situation differs, and a professional advisor can assist you in using the information on this web site to your best advantage. See our Business Directory for tax, accounting and finance-related firms in your area.
Please see our legal disclaimer regarding the use of information on our site, and our Privacy Policy regarding information that may be collected from visitors to our site.