Ads keep this website free for you. does not research or endorse any product or service appearing in ads on this site.  Before making a major financial decision you  should consult a qualified professional.

Employee Clothing and Footwear
Canadian Tax and
Financial Information Home

What's New

Links & Resources

Site Map

Need an accounting, tax or financial advisor? Look in our Directory.  Use above search box to easily find your topic!   Stay Connected with!
What's New
Personal Tax
Sales Taxes
Financial Freedom
Financial Planning
Registered Accounts
Real Estate
US Tax Tips
British Columbia
Atlantic Provinces
Federal Budget
Prov/Terr Budgets
Statistics etc.
Site Map
Advertise With Us
Contact Us/About Us
Links & Resources
Personal Tax  ->  Filing Your Return  ->  Employment Expenses -> Employee Clothing and Footwear

Employee Clothing and Footwear

The cost of special clothing or footwear required for your job is not deductible.  However, special clothing or footwear provided by or reimbursed by the employer will not be considered a taxable benefit to the employee under certain circumstances:

bulletWhen the employer provides a distinctive uniform, or protective clothing or footwear that is designed to protect them from workplace hazards, this is not a taxable benefit.
bulletIf the employer pays an allowance to the employee for purchasing these items, and the employee is required to provide receipts, this is not a taxable benefit.
bulletIf an allowance is paid to the employee for the purchase of protective clothing, and the employee is not required to provide receipts, the amount paid will be a taxable benefit to the employee unless all of the following conditions are met:
bulletthe law requires the employee to wear the protective clothing on the work site,
bulletthe employee purchased the protective clothing, and
bulletthe amount paid is reasonable.

The above information can be found in the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) guide T4130 Employers' Guide Taxable Benefits, under the topic "Uniforms and special clothing".

Line 229 employment expenses can be entered in the "other deductions" line of the Canadian Tax and RRSP Savings Calculator.

Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Resources

Line 22900 Other Employment Expenses

T4044 Employment Expenses

Revised: October 26, 2023


Copyright © 2002 Boat Harbour Investments Ltd. All Rights Reserved.  See Reproduction of information from

Facebook  | Twitter  |  See What’s New, stay connected with by RSS or Email
The information on this site is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice.  Each person's situation differs, and a professional advisor can assist you in using the information on this web site to your best advantage. 
Please see our legal disclaimer regarding the use of information on our site, and our Privacy Policy regarding information that may be collected from visitors to our site.