Canadian Tax and
Financial Information
Foreign Employers in Canada

Ads keep this website free for you. does not research or endorse any product or service appearing in ads on this site.  Before making a major financial decision you  should consult a qualified professional.

Looking for US tax information?

Need an accounting, tax or financial advisor? Look in our Directory.  Use above search box to easily find your topic!   Stay Connected with!

What's New
Personal Tax
Sales Taxes
Free in 30!
Financial Planning
Real Estate
Stocks Bonds etc.
British Columbia
Atlantic Provinces
Federal Budget
Provincial Budgets
Statistics etc.
Site Map
Advertise With Us
Contact Us/About Us
Links & Resources

Personal Tax
Business -> Foreign employers in Canada

Tax Deductions - Foreign Employers in Canada

Income Tax Act s. 153, Regulations s. 100 to 105
Canada Pension Regulations s. 22
Employment Insurance Act s. 5

Employers resident in another country who have employees in Canada (either resident or non-resident in Canada) are responsible for collecting

bullet income taxes
bullet Employment Insurance (EI) premiums, except when
bullet it appears that, because of the laws of the foreign country, a duplication of premiums or benefits would result
bullet the employment in Canada is by a foreign government or an international organization, unless the foreign employer agrees to cover its Canadian employees under Canada's EI legislation.  The employment will then be insurable if Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC) agrees.
bullet Canada Pension Plan (CPP) contributions, at the option of the employer.  This coverage is applied for by the employer, by completing Form CPT13 from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) website, except for employees employed in the Province of Quebec.

However, a tax treaty between Canada and the country of residence of a non-resident employee may provide for relief from Canadian tax deductions.

If the foreign firm is paying for services rendered in Canada by a self-employed contractor

bullet who is a resident of Canada, no withholding taxes are required
bullet who is a non-resident of Canada, a withholding tax of 15% is required

See also:

    - Who pays tax in Canada, and on what income? - re residents/non-residents

    - Calculating payroll tax deductions and automobile taxable benefits

    - Are you an employee or a self-employed contractor?

CRA Resources:

    - Residency of a corporation

    - Tax Treaties

Revised: May 23, 2018


Copyright © 2002 Boat Harbour Investments Ltd. All Rights Reserved.  See Reproduction of information from

Facebook  | Twitter  |  Google + |  Monthly Newsletter Sign-up  What’s New E-mail Notification RSS News Feed
The information on this site is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice.  Each person's situation differs, and a professional advisor can assist you in using the information on this web site to your best advantage. 
Please see our legal disclaimer regarding the use of information on our site, and our Privacy Policy regarding information that may be collected from visitors to our site.