Canadian Tax and
Financial Information
RRSP Contributions Not Claimed

Ads keep this website free for you. does not research or endorse any product or service appearing in ads on this site.  Before making a major financial decision you  should consult a qualified professional.

Looking for US tax information?

Need an accounting, tax or financial advisor? Look in our Directory.      Stay Connected with!

What's New
Personal Tax
Sales Taxes
Free in 30!
Financial Planning
Real Estate
Stocks Bonds etc.
British Columbia
Atlantic Provinces
Federal Budget
Provincial Budgets
Statistics etc.
Site Map
Advertise With Us
Contact Us/About Us
Links & Resources

Filing Your Return  ->  RRSPs -> RRSP Contribution Not Recorded Last Year

RRSP Contributions Not Recorded on Previous Year Tax Return.  What Now?

It is necessary to include all RRSP contributions made in the first 60 days of the current year on Schedule 7 of the tax return for the past tax year.

You may have made an RRSP contribution in the previous year, but didn't record this on your return.

If you made RRSP contributions from March 1, 2016 to March 1, 2017, this should have been included on Schedule 7 which was filed with your 2016 tax return.  If you omitted any of the RRSP contributions during that period from Schedule 7, you will have to file an adjustment to your 2016 tax return.  You should be able to file a T1Adj online without submitting receipts, and if Canada Revenue Agency wants to see copies of the receipts they will request them from you.  See our article on changing your return.

You then have 2 options regarding your 2017 tax return:

    1.  Wait for the reassessment notice for your 2016 tax year before filing your 2017 tax return (as long as you can still file for 2017 by April 30th), including the 2016 contribution as a carry-forward from 2016, or

    2.  File your 2017 tax return without the carry-forward from 2016, and subsequently file a form T1Adj (as above, can be done online) requesting a change to your 2017 tax return to include the carried-forward contribution from 2016, and to claim the RRSP deduction.

Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Resources:

    - Schedule 7 RRSP Unused Contributions, Transfers, and HBP or LLP Activities - explains when this schedule has to be completed

    - General Income Tax and Benefit Guide, search for "how to complete Schedule 7".

Tax Tips:

    - Get that T1Adj done as soon as possible, to avoid delays with the upcoming tax return!

    - Make sure you report your RRSP contributions in the first 60 days on the tax return for the prior year!

Revised: December 28, 2017


Copyright © 2002 Boat Harbour Investments Ltd. All Rights Reserved.  See Reproduction of information from

Facebook  | Twitter  |  Google + |  Monthly Newsletter Sign-up  What’s New E-mail Notification RSS News Feed
The information on this site is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice.  Each person's situation differs, and a professional advisor can assist you in using the information on this web site to your best advantage. 
Please see our legal disclaimer regarding the use of information on our site, and our Privacy Policy regarding information that may be collected from visitors to our site.